Thursday, February 18, 2010

Was that the best you could do??

Here's an oldie but goodie to start us off:

I think Skylar was about 3 1/2 or 4. I was driving, and I was lost. Skylar kept kicking Elijah in his carseat. I explained about personal space. I calmly asked her to stop. I don't remember what else I said, but I exhausted my arsenal of parenting tricks. Then, I swatted her leg (& felt crummy about it).

Skylar immediately throws back her head and starts wailing, "Mama! You can't treat me like that! Jesus says to treat other people the way you want to be treated! I mean, how would you like it if I hit your leg?"

"Skylar, you were kicking Elijah."

"I know I was, but parents have to do what's right even if their chillen (she was so little, she couldn't pronounce it!) do what's wrong, otherwise, how will they learn what's right? I mean, really, Mama, was that the only way you could have handled that situation?"

If you're reading this, and I told you the story right after it happened, you can correct any discrepancies. I'm pretty close, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment