Monday, March 8, 2010

More hiking

The kids and I found a hiking buddy! Whoopee! I've been wanting to hike with them on a regular basis, but I don't really do anything on a regular basis except brush my teeth - usually. But with a hiking buddy, it will be much easier! Thanks, Katie!!

Today, we hiked from Morgan's Steep to The Cross. The highlights in terms of terrain were the streams and waterfalls, the steep leaf-covered hill almost constantly to our right, and a rock scramble with a tunnel! Both kids loved the trail.

In the car, on the way to the hike, Eli said, "I don't want to do a hike."

I said, "This trail has lots of water and a big rock that we get to climb over and a tunnel!"

He brightened and said, "Oh! That sounds percfect!" I'm not sure how he gets two c's in the word, but it's adorable!

Elijah must have fallen a dozen times, once on his face (that was the first one), which resulted in a raised bruise beside his left eye. Eli hopped, jumped, and ran for he entire time that he moved under his own power, which was most of the 1 mile hike. He lost his shoe at one point, which bounced and rolled down the steep, leaf-covered hill until it hit a tree. I used it as a teaching moment regarding listening to me and holding my hand. He absorbed the lesson well, especially after watching me slide and stumble down the hill and huff, puff, and grunt my way back up :)

Skylar amazed me by her energy and her skills. She plotted her own path through a rock tumble that was at least the length of our house. She also only needed a little help getting her first foothold on the rock scramble. She told me at some point that she had done the hike before and lost her princess hat on it. I recalled a hike early in the year that Jordan did with the kids and another seminary couple (I wasn't feeling well and stayed home). When we got to the rock scramble, she said, "And that's where I lost my princess hat." Oh, how I wish my memory were that good!!

I didn't bring my camera, even though Skylar told me to. :) I'll just have to go back and take pictures for y'all to really appreciate how amazing my kiddos are. :)

2 comments:

  1. Shana,
    Thanks for sharing your hike. I'm glad you have a hiking partner, that makes things so nice!! I miss all of you!! The new priest (Doug) has made some staffing changes that were probably neccessary but painful to me personally. One was Kim Moon, a good friend, and the director of my and Amy's bell choirs. Fortunately she'll stay on as director, but is losing the bulk of her weekly job : ( . The other person affected was Donna, the choir director. Our group was small, but Donna was so gifted. Anyway, I'll miss her. I've decided not to sing in the choir for awhile,...... take a break!!
    Thanks again for sharing your life in snatches!!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a blast too! Looking forward to our next adventure! Look at my Thumping Dick Cove pics on FB and see if you think the kids would enjoy that one. It ends in a small cave that you can explore...but it's super dark, so maybe not a good idea with little ones. I never know what's appropriate for kids, but your kids are pretty tough, so I think they could hang. Next time I'm so bringing my camera!

    ReplyDelete